The Almatti Dam on the Krishna river is part of the Upper
Krishna project which is designed to provide irrigation for the vast lands of
Bijapur district. The project was conceived by the irrigation authorities to
be multipurpose with a power house to be built by the Karnataka Power
Corporation Limited. Under the liberalized
economic policy, the concession for development of this power house was given to The Asia Power Company (TAPCo) of USA.
SECSD were involved in reviewing the earlier proposal made by the
KPCL so as to make the project suitable
for IPP implementation and private financing. Our engineers interacted with the
turbine manufacturers Kvaerner in Doncaster and developed the
preliminary layout and plans for the power house. The tasks undertaken by SECSD include.
1. Preliminary Site visits, assessment, collection of hydrological records, assimilation,
conversion of data and development of hydrological reports.
2. Power and energy studies to fix optimum installed capacity and preliminary
dimensioning of equipment.
SECTION OF POWER HOUSE
3. Development of outline drawings and visit to Kvaerner offices in Doncaster for
development of layout
taking into consideration manufacturer's drawings.
4. Development of quantity and cost estimates and Development of pre investment report.
SECTION OF PENSTOCK
5. Considerable reduction in rock excavation in our design was possible
by proposing to use line drilling so as to leave most of the bedrock
intact and hence shift power house closer to the toe of the existing dam.
OF POWER HOUSE
Our design resulted in reduction in length of penstocks by shifting axis of power house closer to the
dam which was possible due to controlled excavation. This resulted in saving of
7. Reduction in tail race pool excavation volume by increasing gradient of
the tail race due to sound bedrock.
8. Reduction in height of superstructure to nearly half the original
design and use of steel superstructure to reduce cost.
VIEW FROM DOWNSTREAM
2002 SECSD Private Limited
SECSD reserves all rights to the project planning, design and
information presented herein. The designs may not be adapted
or reproduced or utilized in any form without permission. This website
is entirely Designed, Developed and maintained by SECSD. No part of this
website or its contents may be reproduced. For Details contact webmaster